Almost the Australian National Capital !
|DALGETY - nearly the national capital on the banks of the SNOWY RIVER|
In 1904 Dalgety made the news as the possible site for the national Capital however in the
last ballot the vote went to Canberra.
Dalgety was first named Buckley’s Crossing in 1837, after the Buckley brothers who used to
drove sheep across the Snowy River where the bridge now stands. In 1880 the Township of
“Dalgety” was surveyed by Mr J R Campbell, who called the town Dalgety which was his
wife’s maiden name.
During the 1880’s Dalgety had two hotels, two stores, a courthouse / police station,
Blacksmith, a public school, post office, two churches and several private homes. Since then
there has also been a bush nursing outpost, a butcher shop, several halls, a garage and a
caravan park. The town remains the last example of Snowy towns (Jindabyne and
Adaminaby having been flooded).
A visit to Dalgety on the first Sunday in March gives travellers a taste of country life at the
Agricultural show held each year.
||     :-at the Catholic Church, 10am Sundays
||     :-at the Anglican Church, 3rd Sunday of the month.||
There is a lovely little church at Boloco opposite the cemetery where many of the early
pioneers lie at rest.
> > Close this browser window to continue < <
or Click here for more about Dalgety in Australia.